10. A tie between: The four horsemen, The Zombie, The B-52, and Long Island Iced Tea.
9. The It’s OK because I’m only drinking (beer, wine, drinks not including Everclear – you pick one) drink.
8. Absinthe – This stuff was banned for years because people thought the wormwood used in making it caused hallucinations. Turns out they were really caused by the fact that absinthe is up to 150 proof.
7. The I promised myself I wouldn’t drink until Thursday and today is only Tuesday but that’s close enough drink.
6. The drink I need to make me (more fun, calmer, happier, wittier, sexier – again, you pick one) drink.
5. Moonshine – Folks, you just flat don’t know what’s in this stuff. It is the drinking equivalent of Russian Roulette.
4. The Celebrate how great I’m doing at not drinking with a drink drink.
3. The I’m alone so nobody will know drink.
2. Everclear – 190 proof (yes, that means 95%) grain alcohol, which will put you in the ER – if you’re lucky. There is a reason this stuff is illegal in 14 states.
1. The First Drink
But that’s OK because here are the :
Top Ten Reasons It’s Great to be Sober
10. If you’re feeling miserable, you know you’re actually sick.
9. Less, and more tasteful, tattoo art.
8. You always know where you are when you wake up.
7. You’re able to maintain a platonic relationship with your toilet.
6. All the awesome stuff you can now afford.
5. It’s lot’s easier to [lose weight/work out/study/get up/…]
4. You look good in selfies. Well, as good as I CAN look.
3. You can have a lot of fun sober. No. Really! Try it.
2. You want to help others, not show off to them.
1. Self respect.
If you’re “sober curious” …If you are drinking too much too often and want to stop or take a break…come check out our community BOOM Rethink the Drink on the Mighty Networks app We are an independent, anonymous and private community who share resources, support and talk it through every day. There is no more vibrant and diverse group anywhere. Open your mind to the possibilities Here .
These top ten lists came from a man who I’ll call Ted. My friend Ted is a husband, father, grandfather and hard working professional who is fighting off the” little voice” in his head that loves whiskey. Ted often simply posts top ten lists, that always hit the nail on the head. Sometimes these lists are serious and informative and sometimes very funny, but I know that I would not have gotten through my first alcohol free year with style and a smile if it weren’t for Ted.
When Ted and I parted ways he said that I could publish his posts far and wide on behalf of the Boozemusings Community .
And so I will.
Thank you Ted !